"As a phone volunteer for Greater Manchester Nightline, I can honestly say that what we do is amazing. Not all calls end with answers, but even just encouraging someone to talk, asking them questions and being the person that they have chosen to speak to is enough to know that the hours you are volunteering are worthwhile. But for me, Nightline isn’t just about helping others.
I began my volunteering with Nightline at a really
vulnerable time of my university life. Long story short, everything that could
have possibly gone wrong, had gone wrong. Whilst struggling with depression, I
felt like I lacked friends and support and was initially really scared to meet
such a new, diverse group of people, but straight away, I felt welcomed into
what is one of the country’s largest Nightline communities. Throughout
training, I was continually offered support by people who I had quickly felt
comfortable talking about my mental health with, which was such a new thing for
me, as I was terrified to tell my other friends. The social side of Nightline
really helped “bring me out of my shell”, I began to approach new people, I
didn’t always feel like a burden to people who encouraged me to talk about my
problems. I’ve now been with the organisation for a year and can honestly say
that without some of the people I’ve met, I would not still be at university.
The thing with Nightline volunteers is, we’re all such
like-minded people. We all do different courses, we come from all walks of
life, but you don’t give up so much time to an organisation that listens if
you’re not a supportive person. The people I’ve met have helped me through my
depression and they’ve given me a social life that didn’t exist before I
started volunteering. I’ve gone on to make friends much more easily in other
areas of my life and I can honestly say that I’m the happiest and most
successful I’ve been in a long time. As cliché as it sounds, being a part of
Nightline has really changed my life and I’m sure I’m not the only one. That’s
why it’s not just about the callers, it’s about our volunteers and I’m lucky to
be a part of an organisation that does such wonderful things."
No comments:
Post a Comment